Monday, July 21, 2014

Goddesses in the Dust: How an Archaeologist is like Persephone

An archaeologist unearths the divine feminine, one archetype at a time...
Throughout my childhood I've loved being close to the earth.

But since I was a girl I've had a nightmare of being pulled into a hole in the ground.

In the myth of Persephone, the goddess was abducted against her will into the lair of Hades, King of the Underworld. Before she was returned to the aboveworld and to her mother, the grain goddess, Demeter, she had eaten three pomegranate seeds ~ the food of the dead. For each seed she ate, she was destined to return to the Underworld for a month each year, and for those three months Demeter let nothing grow ~ the three months of winter.

In my nightmare, I also fell into an Underworld against my will. But like Persephone, I soon learned to see in the darkness, and now I go willingly.

 I have eaten many pomegranate seeds. and I return again and again to this soil.

At excavations I have stood at the edge and looked out over the site, aware that the holes are getting deeper by the day. 


Remembering how, the deeper I go into the earth

the more I can hear Persephone speak to me, telling me not to be afraid to pass through thresholds 

because - as in the earth - it is often in the hidden parts of our selves that we find our treasure.

14 comments:

  1. Your posts are always so good Amanda… so many worlds coincide in the way you see things :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ~ I think archaeology has influenced me greatly on that point, working in coinciding worlds, the past and present....

      Delete
  2. i wonder if it is the earth itself we find in ourselves when we dig the deepest.

    every day i seem to practice what it is we are and at what point all fear of passing beyond this life dissipates. it's a marvel that we all rise from the earth in one way or another, and certainly are maintained by her. to realize skin and bone (in each of our incarnations) has passed like water through earth into our being is no small miracle. neither should our passing the other way be any less.

    keep digging:)

    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is a profound realization....we are stardust, matter, the same as the earth. So when we dig down, we dig ourselves both metaphorically and literally ~ and we pass in both directions, like Persephone..

      no small miracle, Erin.....thank you.

      Delete
  3. Very insightful, Amanda. I have never been fond on being below the earth and yet you, who had the same fear, has turned it into a positive. Something to ponder....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barb ~ I've taken to seeing the earth as a feminine archetype and as such, a deep - and in the past two millennia - ravaged one. To change the perceived negative into a positive is the work we all do in transforming archetypes.

      Delete
  4. It really is kind of crazy how much of ourselves we don't know until something out of the ordinary happens and we see another segment.
    These pictures are fun to look at. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true, Rubye. That something out of the ordinary is often the jump start that helps propel us to deeper self awareness.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful, but dusty, images from the past. And the very past. Hope you were never caught in a cave-in.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our trenches never get deep enough to cave in. But I was supposed to work in a cave once, and I chose not to. It had partially collapsed in antiquity and there was something about working inside that space that made me feel claustrophobic.

      Delete
  6. Amanda, are you going to Geece this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ola, yes - I will send you a reply via email

      Delete
  7. You are brave to embrace your fears.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this post. my bad dream is always being sucked out to sea....hmmmm....sailor? such a landlubber though... x janelle

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting♡