Monday, March 2, 2015

Goddesses in the Dust: Starfish Really Loves You

An archaeologist unearths the divine feminine, one archetype at a time...

Walking along a South Carolina beach I spotted this starfish and her recent imprint, likes twins from the sea. I did a little digging and found that starfish symbolize the goddess Isis in Egyptian mythology in her role as a guardian to sailors. They are also is associated with Sirius, the star sacred to Isis which appeared during the annual Nile flood. As you know, a starfish can regenerate its arms, so the concept of regeneration and renewal dovetails with the annual return of life giving water to agriculture. Starfish are also known as Stella Maris, or the star of the sea, and are associated with the Virgin Mary in her aspect as a guardian to sailors as they relied on the stars to guide their path. 

My path that morning led me to this glorious sunrise...

(Couldn't resist the reference to "Starfish really loves you" from the Charlie the Unicorn videos my kids used to watch...)

16 comments:

  1. I love that you could turn the beautiful starfish into a lesson. I knew nothing about that. I always love your posts. I wish I had your brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love starfish. They are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do they wash up on the beaches of Malta, I wonder?

      Delete
  3. pretty shots, I like its relaxing atmosphere visible even via computer:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the beach one of the most relaxing places on earth..

      Delete
  4. Beautiful image of that Starfish. I am always saddened to find them dead, but their beauty lives on. I love how you have turned this into a story. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me sad too, also to see the sand dollars washed up nearby..

      Delete
  5. another interesting lesson for an old country codger,,:) thanks,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you Glenn - thanks for visiting! xo

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous photos! I just reviewed a book about twins that fits the first image. I've found some pretty starfish, happily alive, in tidal pools in Maine. It's such a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fascinating to find starfish alive - I'd love to know how they swim!

      Delete
  7. Sea star seems a more fitting name ...lovely find and sunrise *!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie. And I love that - sea stars. Is that what they are called down under?

      Delete
  8. Love finding out what these symbolize! Beautiful.
    And what a lovely starfish and imprint!
    Hope you are off to a beautiful March! It looks like it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two beautiful gifts to come across on your morning walk. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting♡