Monday, February 16, 2015

Goddesses in the Dust: Theia - Goddess of Light

An archaeologist unearths the divine feminine, one archetype at a time...
video


We recently remodeled a bathroom in our house and replaced an old opaque window with a new, clear glass one. The first morning I went down the stairwell I saw the most amazing light show dappling the wall; a light show never before seen. The old opaque window did not let in light the way the new window does and I was so spellbound by the dazzling display of nature on my stairwell wall that I videotaped it. 

In ancient Greece, Theia is a Titan goddess of shining light - the daughter of Uranus and Gaia and the sister of Phoebe and Themis, who were associated with prophecies. She married her brother Hyperion, the Titan god of light, and gave birth to Helios (the sun) Selene (the moon) and Eos (dawn.) A shrine dedicated to her is located in Thessaly, Greece. 

I can't help but recall the old saying about a door closing and a window opening. This is particularly meaningful for anyone working to let go of old wounds or worn out emotional patterns that no longer serve you, and let in the light of healing. 

Wishing you the same blessings as we continue to embrace 2015. 

P.S. Listen for our grandfather clock (we call it our Granmaudie clock after my mother) chiming at the end :))

15 comments:

  1. Amanda, my reading finally came back after more than a month, so now I get to read your posts on a regular basis. I will have to remember Theia, as I crave light. Love your analogy. Will have to remember that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't been able to read anyone else blogs? Wow - that's too bad - so happy you're back online!

      Delete
  2. A godess of shining light-did they have a god for every situation?😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ola, I think the ancients pretty much had designated a god for just about every aspect of nature~

      Delete
  3. I recently read an article about how a temple to the old Norse Gods is being built in Iceland. The first since the Viking age. They spoke to the High Priest who said (I'm paraphrasing) "of course no one takes it literally. No one really believes there is an actual one eyed god flying around on an eight legged horse... But the old legends are a valuable window to help us interpret human experience and find meaning." I think I might say the same thing about the old gods on Olympus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Thomas. Thanks for the info on the Norse god's temple in Iceland - sounds pretty cool. I share Joseph Campbell's belief that myth and archetypal symbols have deep meaning for human beings as I believe they resonate our stories back to us.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you stopped by my blog, Amanda. Yes, it's so good to be back, visiting old friends. I have always loved your blog....the journeys through mythology. I like Thomas's comment above; that they help us interpret human experience and find meaning. As for meaning: that is so amazing, the light on your wall. I've cut and pasted into a file your paragraph "I can't help but recall...." that I'd like to quote in a future post, giving you credit of course, if that's okay. A very beautiful post. Cheers, Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course Ann - I'm honored you would quote me! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Light is so special isn't it? I never used to appreciate it but now I am mesmerised by all its different nuances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The light in the Mediterranean is like no other...

      Delete
  6. I'm afraid the video doesn't show (error message), but I can see the light from your evocative description. What could be finer than a goddess of light? In winter, I miss light more than I miss warmth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine what it must be like for you in Maine with this seemingly endless winter. I wonder if one of those artificial lamps might be helpful?

      Delete
  7. Lovely post and video and I did hear the chimes from your clock.

    I love catching sight of moving light coming in from the outside especially when it stops you in your tracks to watch then reach for the camera.. have always liked to think it was Gaia breathing*!*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful display of light...thanks for visiting my blog. I'm back to writing every Friday and heading to Australia soon. I'd like to visit Greece one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unexpected beauty is such a delight;and I loved the chimes marking the moment!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting♡