Monday, October 13, 2014

Goddesses in the Dust: Selfie with a Greek Island

An archaeologist unearths the divine feminine, one archetype at a time...

"Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere you find yourself." 
unknown  
(Thanks to Michelle at It's a Small Town Life)

I like to think of the Greek island of Ithaka as feminine. She has many curves and hidden places, and like a wise older woman, she has lived a long life and learned many lessons. As I was leaving the island this time, I shot a picture of myself with her in the distance. Most people take selfies with friends, and this is no different. Ithaka has been a comforting, loving companion over many decades. She has taught me a lot, but as is the case with the best of friends, the lessons they teach are not about themselves, but you. 

So to me, Ithaka is a goddess, a mentor and a sanctuary. And as in the poem by Constantine Cavafy, I always try to remember:

Keep Ithaka always in your mind.
Arriving there is what you are destined for.
But do not hurry the journey at all.
Better if it lasts for years,
so you are old by the time you reach the island,
wealthy with all you have gained on the way,
not expecting Ithaka to make you rich.

Ithaka gave you the marvelous journey.
Without her you would not have set out.
She has nothing left to give you now.

And if you find her poor, Ithaka won’t have fooled you.
Wise as you will have become, so full of experience,
you will have understood by then what these Ithakas mean. 

27 comments:

  1. It seems that Ithaka is really among your favorite islands!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ola, Ithaka is truly another home for me♡

      Delete
  2. A selfie with a difference! And I have loved that poem for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cavafy's words seem to become more meaningful as one grows older. I believe that was his intention.

      Delete
  3. An archaeologist is bound to the place he/she has first discovered his/her true passion. This is where and what you were meant to discover/unearth/de-puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosaria, you always amaze me with your insights. Thank you for these words today, they echo within my soul.

      Delete
  4. Amanda, I love your post. I had never heard about Ithaka before you. Profound. I am still searching for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, You bring up a salient, dual feature of Cavafy's poem. In it he addresses both the physical island to which Odysseus yearned to return, but it also recognizes those places in our soul to which we are drawn, to which we hope to return someday, and see as they truly are for the first time.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful. I trust you discovered more secrets on Ithaka.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely. I find it so fascinating the connections we feel with places.
    You with Ithaka and I with Assisi. Our places where we leave a piece of our heart ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Lucinda. We leave a little piece of our heart so we can return and discover the joy all over again of finding it there.

      What a beautiful place you have left a piece your heart...

      Delete
  7. I thought of you and your island the other day Amanda after hearing the news of that amazing find - the stunning floor mosaic - pity it wasnt found on Ithaka though*!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, I'm not sure which excavation you are referring to - was it the one in Macedonia? If so it is a stunning find, complete with two Caryatids guarding the entrance..

      Delete
  8. You and your friend took a beautiful selfie together :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, so good to see you!!! I miss you and your wonderful blog.....while I'm not on facebook it's times like this i wish I was, just to be able to stay in touch :((
      I hope all is well with you, Gregory and Fifty ~ sending big hugs and please keep me posted on your latest news!
      Amanda xoxo

      Delete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A selfie with a Greek island, ha! Only you would put a classic twist on a new tradition. Lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Wonder if I'm the first to capture Ithaka in this way? :))

      Delete
  11. I love this!

    Someday I will visit the Greek islands. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all your travels, Mim, I do hope that Greece will appear on one of your itineraries in the near future..

      Delete
  12. Selfie with an island. Hmmmm. But, given the magic of Ithaka, I suppose anything is possible. That's great.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ithaka has magic, Rob, and I'm grateful to continue to learn from what it has to teach. Good to see you here.

      xoxo

      Delete
  13. I have never heard of the island, being the country boy I am,,,but I think I have seen the "place". I built a fire there more than once and visited with a great friend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've no doubt you've seen the 'place' Glenn. Building a fire there would be a great offering to it.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting♡