Monday, September 29, 2014

Goddesses in the Dust: Girls Sparring at a Museum - Then and Now

An archaeologist unearths the divine feminine, one archetype at a time...

As I was wandering through the galleries of the National Archaeological Museum in Athens, I stopped to admire this fresco of children boxing. It was excavated on the island of Santorini at the settlement at Akrotiri, a site buried in ash from a volcanic eruption of ca. 1600 B.C., preserving these exquisite paintings. The gender of the children is often described as male, because the prevailing sentiment is that girls don't spar, right? In all honesty no one really knows and it's equally possible the children depicted could be girls... 

...so you can imagine my surprise that as I walked outside the gallery almost immediately I saw this:

Without a video, it's hard to portray the action - but these two girls were actually engaged in a game involving vigorous hand slaps and punches that looked to me like pattycake meets boxing. I couldn't figure out if they were bored after being dragged through endless galleries of Greek art by their parents, or if they had found inspiration in the painting right around the corner. 

Either way, it's proof that girls like to play at sparring, just like boys, and it seems not much has changed in 3600 years...

22 comments:

  1. Haha… guess not much has changed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen that painting before and always thought they were girls. Never imagined boys. Those girls are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The traditional explanation has been that the red color indicates a male figure. But it is not a definitive description, so is open to interpretation. I prefer to think of them as girls as well.

      Delete
  3. Ha, there's nothing new under the sun they say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nothing new, our behaviours are still the same as 1000 years ago
    btw, the girls look very Greek, even their dresses are inspired by the ancient

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And in this case, the same as 3600 years ago!
      Yes, the dresses on the girls do look like they're inspired by ancient clothing - I guess not only behavior, but ancient Greek style has perpetuated for thousands of years! :))

      Delete
  5. Ah, girls at play tells us a lot about our nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does indeed - I like to think of it as the feisty female nature asserting its voice ~

      Delete
  6. I love that! So well captured. I finally posted the review/interview of the book I thought you'd love: Euphoria by Lily King.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to reading both review and book.

      Delete
  7. I was led to your blog via Sherry - "Too Much August..." I liked your comment and now know why after scrolling through your blog. What a treasure you are amongst the hidden treasures you search for in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - thank you so much for visiting and for your kind words!

      Delete
  8. What a cool synchronicity! I love knowing that your observing eyes and keen mind were there to capture it, Sis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was almost surreal - maybe synchronistic is a better word :))

      Delete
  9. I Love Those Images! I wouldn't want to mess with either of those chicks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. amazing how you caught the second two looking (to me also) just like the first two.

    ReplyDelete
  11. they look like girls to me!

    what similarities in the ancient and the modern. those girls are having fun and looking at them makes me happy.

    love love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always seem to find, and share, such treats. Thanks you, amanda.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting♡