Monday, August 24, 2015

Goddesses in the Dust: Of Sharks and Seas

An archaeologist unearths the Divine Feminine, one archetype at a time...

Here in one of my favorite parts of the world, South Carolina. After my run this morning I headed out to the beach for a swim. Strangely, there were no other folks in the water, they were all just standing along the shore. Nonplussed, I headed out into the surf. I love to lie on my back in the water, looking up at the sky, and listen to the sound of Mother Ocean as she lulls me into a light trance. 

Just as I was floating and cooling off, I saw a man yelling at me and waving his arms. As I walked towards him, he told me the reason no one was in the water was that two sharks were sighted. I nodded and thanked him for alerting me - just as I turned around to look back at the ocean, I saw a fin poking up above the waves, gliding directly in the area I was just serenely floating. 

They were two baby black tip sharks. As the life guard said, "they won't take off a limb, but they might bite you."

So noted. In Greek mythology, Amphitrite is the goddess of the sea and consort of Poseidon. The next time I take a dip, I will invoke her protection. In the mean time, looking forward to more of enjoying the ocean...

but maybe from a bit of a distance for now... :))

12 comments:

  1. So very serene and peaceful, the baby black tip sharks, not so much !
    I've vacationed on those beaches, so relaxing.....
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, It is relaxing here, one of my favorite parts of the world. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. I saw sharks only once in Egypt, lucky me I was on a boat:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharks in Egypt? Did you see them in the Red Sea I wonder? How exciting!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow. I am terrified of sharks even though they're rarely spotted around here. Glad you're safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen sharks in the Mediterranean, but I have heard they exist!

      Delete
  4. Nice to see a post again! This summer was a "home leave" year and I spent 3 weeks in Hawaii. Swam with sea turtles which was way cool. One of my friends was using a "shark tracker" app that maps all the sharks that scientists have tagged in Hawaii. We agreed it was a false sense of security given that most sharks are probably not tagged. Anyway. One of my "go to" songs begins with the words "mother, mother ocean". That's the one thing about living in Austria that I don't like: land-locked country. Summer is not over yet!! (although my kids have gone back to school.) Thanks for the up-date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three weeks in Hawaii? Lucky you, Thomas, and a long way to travel! Sounds like a lovely vacation - glad you had a good time! I love your "mother mother ocean" song - will have to look it up ;))

      Delete
  5. Amanda, look at you with that teenaged body. The black tipped sharks are very aggressive. Love your header too. Have a great time at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes! Shark attacks make the news, but you're in greater danger driving to the sea than swimming in it. Still, I'd sooner swim with dolphins than sharks. What can be finer than a good book on the beach?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Swimmin' with the sharks - kind of like a Mafia movie title. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. lucky duck... such a beautiful world you get to live and play in!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting♡