Goddesses in the Dust: Mothering Ourselves

Unearthing the divine feminine, one archetype at a time...
My mom holding me outside our apartment in Torino, Italy

Yesterday was Mother's Day. My kids sent me greetings which made me feel very special and loved. My own mom has been gone now for over 20 years, but that doesn't mean I don't still miss her, especially on a day like this. But recently I've been encouraged to focus on mothering myself. Maybe we all didn't get what we wanted as kids, maybe our mothers weren't the most demonstrative. After all, it was the 50s. Helicopter parents were unheard of, as were seat belts, cell phones and soccer moms. Today's parents are all over their kids and back when I was growing up, you were pretty much on your own. 

Don't get me wrong. I love my mom, and know she did her best for me. But no matter how much mothering you got, it's still important to learn how to mother ourselves. Some psychologists use the term inner child, and that works for me. So when your own kids grow up and leave home, your little inner kid can use your attention. Put your mothering instincts to use there and embrace the child within. We could all use a hug.

Popular Posts