Monday, May 11, 2015

Goddesses in the Dust: Mothering Ourselves

Unearthing the divine feminine, one archetype at a time...
My mom holding me outside our apartment in Torino, Italy

Yesterday was Mother's Day. My kids sent me greetings which made me feel very special and loved. My own mom has been gone now for over 20 years, but that doesn't mean I don't still miss her, especially on a day like this. But recently I've been encouraged to focus on mothering myself. Maybe we all didn't get what we wanted as kids, maybe our mothers weren't the most demonstrative. After all, it was the 50s. Helicopter parents were unheard of, as were seat belts, cell phones and soccer moms. Today's parents are all over their kids and back when I was growing up, you were pretty much on your own. 

Don't get me wrong. I love my mom, and know she did her best for me. But no matter how much mothering you got, it's still important to learn how to mother ourselves. Some psychologists use the term inner child, and that works for me. So when your own kids grow up and leave home, your little inner kid can use your attention. Put your mothering instincts to use there and embrace the child within. We could all use a hug.

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful photo of you and your mom....very special.
    Hugs, Happy m-day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking from time to time which model is better-let your kids live on their own (to a certain reasonable limits) or be like it is now required - too much protective as I belive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we've swung too far on the pendulum with overprotective parenting these days. Of course leaving us to our own devices during my childhood wasn't great either. Has the world really gotten more dangerous these days or are we held captive by a fear mongering media?

      Delete
  3. This made me smile. I too was a free rang child before the term was invented. On Saturdays when I was a kid, I would disappear on my bike at sun up and mom wouldn't see me again until it was dark. And that was apparently O.K. Of course, my mom grew up in Europe during WWII, so she always correctly thought that we had it easy. I wish she was around to see that her granddaughter is now at university. I miss them both. Thanks for sharing the photo and sparking some memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that - free range child!! We would do the same - disappear in the morning and return only when we heard our mom ring the cow bell to come in for dinner. I can understand how your mom thought you had it easy after having lived through a war.

      Delete
  4. I was raised the same way Amanda. A real wild child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up in the woods,,no really,, lol...I tried to find a happy medium with my three girls...I think it worked...My grandkids are definitely "free range", especially at the restaurants.. lol.. glenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these sentiments. I do agree that we need to mother our own inner child.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! What a lovely thought to embrace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good advice! I'm sorry you lost your mother. It's a lovely photo of the two of you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting♡