Monday, November 3, 2014

Question on an Athenian Wall

Graffiti. Athens, Greece

Ever wonder about that?
What is mind......and more importantly, where is it? The neuroscientist Candace Pert states that we don't just think or feel emotions with our brain. She says, "it could be said that intelligence is located not only in the brain but in cells that are distributed throughout the body, and that the traditional separation of mental processes, including emotions, from the body is no longer valid." Our whole body is wise and our whole body is conscious. In fact, Pert states that memories are stored in the body and that the body 
is the unconscious mind.

The ancient Greeks were very good at coming up with new ways of seeing our world, through architecture, mathematics, philosophy and theatre. In all the years I've been traveling to Greece I wonder if the landscape of this mysterious country continues to be so compelling to me because of something out there, or due to something inside of me...

....or is it because of some unfathomable, alchemical relationship between them both? 

Ithaka, View of Bay of Vathy from the road to the monastery, late afternoon

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes. MARCEL PROUST

Thanks to Robert at The Solitary Walker

22 comments:

  1. So beautiful, not the graffiti though. I am not a fan. I started following Walker though from your site. I love to live virtually through other's travels. As far as the mind goes, I just hope I can keep mine till I get to visit Greece. My husband is a neuroscientist, so I shall discuss this theory with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, I'd be interested to learn what your husband thinks about Pert's theory.

      Delete
  2. That's fascinating, Amanda, and entirely reasonable. Thanks for sharing the information.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ask a very valid question Amanda. And now I will spend the rest of the evening pondering it and trying to come up with an answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. doesn't make sense to me, but nobody knows exactly how the mind works... so who can say

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I wonder if in our culture we are encouraged more to understand things intellectually and not so much in feeling them?

      Delete
  5. I read something similar. What a marvelous machine we embody.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was asking this very same question of American and especially Maine voters this morning. Your beautiful photo was a good distraction from our gray skies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, interesting to contemplate how our collective mind works as well.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful..it is always lovely to hear more are awakening, opening and understanding these ancient knowings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I wonder if they are actually ancient or perhaps more timeless?

      Delete
  8. It almost feels like we've been trapped in this tiny slice for too long, doesn't it, Sis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time to explore the realms that exist in concert with our flesh envelopes?

      Delete
  9. I'm always asking..."I've lost my mind again" heehee..I love what Pert says that memories are stored in the body.I like to think that your attraction to it Greece comes from within...a unknown need to discover and keep and keep discovering.I often feel a need to create...at 2,3 in the morning.I dont know know what gets me out of bed,but it does and I am so very thankful for it.Blessings to you friend.xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is the case, Cat. My attraction to Greece does seem to come from a place beyond my consciousness and is wise indeed.

      Delete
  10. amanda, i've had many occasions to tell my clients, and myself and my friends, "your body knows." our bodies don't forget even our time being born and in our cribs. we may not remember but our body does.

    this is fascinating: intelligence and emotion not just in our brains. fascinating. thank you.

    love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wise of you KJ to counsel your clients as such. I'm sure you've brought comfort to many a soul in need. xoxo

      Delete
  11. it's the alchemy:)

    but how i like the idea that our whole body is consciousness. and connected to the world. i understand this kind of language.

    (it's so good to hear your wind but i'd like to see a panorama with less evidence of people. just how many people are over there?!)

    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  12. You mean the boats along the harbor? That's actually one of the smaller towns on Ithaka - there are more boats in the main town of Vathy. During the summer the harbors get crowded with daysailors, but in the winter you have the place all to yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting♡