Monday, May 21, 2012

random task

lovely sara in le petit village thinks i'm versatile (merci sara!) 
she asked me to post 7 random facts about myself and pass this award on to fellow bloggers. i hope you enjoy visiting these fascinating folks as much as i do:


miracle sisters (deborah)
chrome on the range (rob)
the violet hour (robin)
notes from flanders (renee)
letters from usedom (angela)




and now for some personal randomness...

1. i have a nerd crush on the late physicist and nobel laureate richard feynman and love reading about quantum physics, but wish i was smart enough to understand what the hell he is talking about.


2. because i studied french earlier in life than greek (and because i speak both so poorly,) i often substitute french prepositions when i'm speaking greek too fast. among other memorable gaffes a la grecque: i may not have, as did a friend, told someone what an adorable little stupid their child was (just one little letter makes all the difference...) or requested motor oil on my salad (to which the waiter made a requisite vroom vroom sound and revved imaginary motorcycle handles in the air), but i have requested plastic vegetables in a market (i meant buckets) and, drumroll please.......asked an old man if he would like a little boy (i was trying to ask if he wanted some cucumber - just one vowel makes all the difference.) needless to say, that went over like the proverbial turd in a punchbowl. 


3. i am deathly afraid of heights. i mean intestines-dropping-out afraid. i am also afraid of speaking in front of an audience. i believe it has something to do with being laughed at as a child for singing the wrong ending to a christmas carol in front of a large group of people. i either need therapy to overcome that - or less expensive - attend toastmasters. 


4. i adore thunderstorms, and am fascinated by tornadoes and hurricanes. as long as they don't hurt anybody. there are few things more exciting than seeing dark greenish clouds appear on the horizon, feel the air get very hot, sticky and still, and notice the insects have stopped making noise. that's when you know it's coming.


5. i co-founded and operated a fencing academy for 3 years. i had no previous business experience (my degree in classical archaeology came in REALLY handy) but i learned a lot. mostly i learned that people you go into business with can turn out to act in ways much weirder than you would ever believe and that parents will do almost anything to help their kids (all of the founders were parents of fencers.)


6. harry truman's mother is my great-grandmother's sister. my daughter's middle name, grace, is in honor of her.


7. i was born on wright patterson air force base. years later i found out that this is where the remains from the roswell crash were taken and stored in the infamous hangar 18, along with other ufo craft that the military was hoping to reverse engineer (if you believe that stuff.....)  


so maybe this makes me an alien


8. i'm writing a novel. and a memoir about working as an archaeologist in greece and returning, like odysseus, to the island of ithaka for 20 years. and yes, i have written more than 7 random facts, because.....


9. i've been known to sometimes not follow rules

32 comments:

  1. Haha, good ones! Harry Truman, hey? And where the hell did you learn not to follow rules - not from the nuns I`m sure!! Thank you for including me. Now I must think of MY weird secrets. Not that I don`t have them, but to SHARE them??? Must think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i don't know where my sometimes lack of rule following nature came from, but it started probably, as it usually does, in my teens (and after the convent years!)

      don't feel obliged to share your random facts, dear geli - only do it if it's fun!

      Delete
  2. I also love reading about quantum physics and all that other "stuff" that I hardly understand but somehow kind of get the gist of but could never tell you what I think about it. Also, I even get scared of heights on TV and really cannot handle a person standing on the ledge of a tall building. Congrats on the award!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's fun to read about quantum mechanics even if i don't understand. as you said. it's satisfaction enough to get the gist, but it's hard to try to explain to someone else. so it ends up being just entertainment for my own brain ;-)

      next time i'm watching TV i'll have to see if it scares me to see someone standing on the ledge of a tall building!

      Delete
  3. absolutely fabulous! laughed a lot! thanks for sharing! x j

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for bestowing this honor upon my humble blog, Amanda! You are, and always have been, a shining inspiration! xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awaiting your 7 (or more) random facts! xo

      Delete
  5. Amanda, rules were made to get around of, you are most normal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the award, Amanda. Considering all the goddesses whose stories you have told, your are definitely Versatile.

    Thank you also for sharing that award with me. That was very sweet, and touching. But having just posted a whole set of random things about myself, I will be hard put to think of more. Difficult, but not impossible.

    Merci.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. surely there are 7 more random facts to share about the bear..

      Delete
  7. P.S.: For some reason, "random" and "archaeologist" do not fit together very well in my mind. I always thought archaeologists were very precise people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. actually archaeology is often referred to as an inexact science, which suits me well.

      Delete
  8. and I am waiting for your novel:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. so fun to read this, amanda. a fencing business!

    i share your fear of heights and your love of thunderstorms.

    and i know we would have a hell of a good conversation talking about a hell of a lot of everything.

    love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too - no doubt we would have a hell of a lot of fun to boot! xo

      Delete
  10. Don't you love foreign language snafus? Of course they're horribly embarrassing when they happen but always a great story to tell.
    Thanks for playing along Amanda, and I for one would think it'd be pretty cool if you were an alien :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, sara - i'll let you know if i start picking up radio waves from mars ;-)

      Delete
  11. It was fun to get to know you better through this post. That is hilarious about the salad oil. I’m not surprised about your mixing up languages. Once on a bus in France, my husband asked for directions in Japanese and he’s British! I’m impressed that you and my husband know 2 languages as I only have one second language, French. I’m not fluent but I get by if I have to, with butchered grammar! I like storms too and I don’t follow rules (hence no memes.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - that's pretty funny about your husband - i would guess that his japanese is the stronger of the two languages?
      either way, it's pretty impressive that he speaks it - i've always heard that japanese is a very difficult language to learn.

      Delete
  12. Dear Amanda, I truly enjoyed this post.;) Congratulations on your award.;) The motor oil on your salad made me laugh, but for someone who had had to learn 4 foreign languages, I know the sentiments.;) I think all cancerians are shy, I too hate speaking in front of an audience.;)
    Thank you as always for your very endearing and very substantial comments, people like you make the 4 months wait fly by faster.;))
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow - 4 foreign languages -that is a masterful accomplishment! ! i am constantly amazed by how many languages most europeans can speak, compared to most americans.

      sending you prayers and wishes that these months fly by quickly, dear zuzana, and that you find comfort in each passing day.

      xoxo

      Delete
  13. Hi Amanda! I admire people that speak so many languages and the motor oil on your salad ? what a great story to tell : )
    Now I know a little bit more about you, that´s fantastic! thank you for sharing your life , your "secrets" here with us and in a very funny way, I love that!
    have a great weekend my dear friend!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, you're writing a memoir!!! Congrats, Amanda, on this well deserved award. #2 made me laugh out loud. Seriously. I remember often writing, when I was young, "me, I" It was my Franco-American upbringing, and it did not help me advance my grammar.

    You've had such an interesting life, Amanda, a fascinating past, and the road awaits you ahead. You'll have lots of fans along its path just waiting for that book. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our beloved alien, this:

    i often substitute french prepositions when i'm speaking greek too fast

    I love!

    And not only do I believe in the strong anthropic principle, I believe in the strong anthropic principal (padum pum.)

    Thoroughly enjoyed reading about your fears, your geeky crushes and your fascinations. You are exquisitely one-of-a kind, my dear.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Was that the David Bacon kiss and Freddie Sherman bummed-out glance birthday party blowing bubbles photo of you when you were 5?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting♡